The harnessing of the power of the wind is something that stretches back to the very earliest of civilisations. Wind powered has been used for sea travel since the 5th millennium B.C. and windmills were used in Persia from as early as 200 B.C.
However the conversion of wind power into electricity starts at the tail end of the 18th Century in Scotland. Professor James Blyth of Anderson’s College in Glasgow created the first of this three wind powered turbines in July 1887. His first design used cloth sails much like a windmill and stored the electricity in accumulators and this energy was used to power the lights in his holiday cottage in Marykirk. This was the first house in the world to be powered by wind.
Blyth then worked on a number of different designs and the final design operated for the next 25 years. The machine was so good at producing electricity that is would produce a surplus. Blyth offered this surplus for